Custom made racewear vs off the rack racewear
Where do you get your dresses from? I get asked this question a lot. The truth is I have one part of me that can't resist a off the rack bargain, oh the thrill of the chase gets me everytime! But the other side of me, the side that can't sleep at night while I dream up different patterns, fabrics and colour combinations and then has to scrimp and save every cent knows if I go the custom made route it will be a one off, fit me beautifully and no one else will be wearing it!!!
There are also many amazing women on the circuit who make their own outfits! The levels of creative talent within the FOTF community is beyond our wildest dreams! Just when you think these power houses of talent couldn't possibly come up with anything more exciting and trend bending BOOM there you go they do it again! If you haven't heard of Alla Dimech you need to follow her because her designs, overall style and poise are second to none.
So what are the pro's and con's of both off the rack and custom made designs - lets compare
Off the rack pro's
- Accessible to nearly everyone both economically and geographically thanks to internet shopping and sites like boohoo, asos, myer, the iconic etc.
- There are so many colours and styles to chose from - the possibilities really are endless
- If you don't like it send it back
- Did we mention it can be pretty cheap
- Some well known designs can be really easy to on sell on sites like Millinery and Racewear Australia FB page
Off the rack con's
- There is a chance and in FOTF it can be high that someone else is going to be wearing the same outfit if not part of your outfit
- There are so many colours and styles to chose from - this can be confusing and overwhelming and you can easily lose your focus and style
- You might not like it and you have to send it back which can be annoying and costly
- The outfit might not come together as you imagined. Maybe the fabric falls differently, or the lace is stretchy, maybe the colours are slightly off and instead of complimenting they clash in a bad way.
- You can end up wasting a lot of money on items that aren't quite right which can lead to a race day fashion fail.
These are just a few things I thought of, there are plenty more.
Custom made racewear pro's
- Your dreams become a reality - its addictive, its enthralling and it consumes you
- You get exactly what you want
- You get an amazing fit
- You will be the only one wearing it!!! With FOTF sometimes being drenched in particular designers outfits its refreshing and exciting to see something new!!!
- You help and support local designers and dress makers which is a great feeling
- You can choose the fabric and be involved as much or as little as you want
Custom made racewear con's
- It can get pricey - shop around and talk about what will you be charged for - for example if the seamstress does something off script are you expected to pay for those extra hours to fix it?
- It might not be the perfect fit dependent on fabric and measurements - always allow enough time to have your item tailored to your body
- If you are considering onselling or renting your outfit out ensure the designer is ok with this as some are not.
- hmmmmm that is all
So custom or off the rack both are great options but so is getting off the rack items altered so they fit correctly, are slightly different and represent your authentic style.
I recommend the following dress makers:
- Only One Ashley https://onlyoneashley.com.au/
- FYNE Fit https://www.facebook.com/Fyne-Fit-Ladies-Dressmaking-Design-Alterations-641881782526470/
- QYN Designs http://www.qyn.com.au
- Milva Carruci https://www.milvacaruccidesigns.com.au/
I hope you have enjoyed this blog.
Best Dressed Accessories.